Head Chef Trainer, The Clink Restaurant
A unique opportunity to transform lives and to inspire others has arisen within the award-winning Clink Restaurant in Sutton, Greater London. We are seeking an experienced Head Chef (fine dining led) to join our renowned management team.
Since opening, we have won several prestigious awards, including receiving a Princess Royal Training Award for ‘outstanding training and skills development’, the Observer Food Monthly’s ‘Best Ethical Restaurant’ this year, and we are consistently in the top restaurants on Trip Advisor in Surrey, and Number 1 in Sutton.
We produce an inspirational dining experience for all our guests, which delivers genuine change and proven results in the reduction of reoffending and the rehabilitation of offenders.
Our restaurant is staffed by prisoners who are all working towards their City & Guilds qualifications, which upon release, leads them into employment into the UK hospitality industry.
We are looking for a Head Chef who can maintain and build on this amazing success.
As the successful candidate some of your responsibilities will be to
– Ensure the training kitchen is run on a high end commercial basis, serving members of the public and prison staff every year, in order for the prisoners in training to gain valuable experience whilst gaining academic qualifications
– Work with all Clink Head Chef Trainers to share best practice and collaborate on new menu development; demonstrating flair, imagination and a commercial awareness in the dishes that takes into account current food trends, delights our customers with high quality fine dining food and which meets the development needs of our Prison Learners
– Manage all costs effectively and within budget regarding the purchasing and production of food. Ensuring practical controls are implemented to ensure that waste is minimised and within budget, and that portion control is managed to maximise efficiency and maintain gross profit through effective use of recipes and specification sheets
– Recruit up to 20 Prison Learners at a time in the training kitchen who all have 6 to 18 months left of their sentence to serve
– Implement The Clink’s Five Step Programme and make certain that all Prison Learners are following the programme
– Delivering high quality training to the Prison Learners in line with City & Guild NVQ qualification expectations/standards for Food Service, Food Preparation & Cooking and Food Safety
– Ensure all of the Prison Learners work is up to date, logged in line with City & Guild NVQ expectations and that all training is logged with the Training Administrator and ready to be audited by the IQA
– Deliver training with innovation, creativity and flair, and that the Prison Learners are taught and inspired by new techniques and industry trends
– Deliver training & coaching with passion and share knowledge and love for food, quality ingredients and seasonality with the Prison Learners.
– Ensure training sessions are structured and supportive, and take account of different learning styles and needs of the group and the individual, adjusting my style as appropriate
All our Head Chef Trainers have fine dining experience and are
– Resilient managers who are able to build constructive, positive and professional relationships
– Great trainers (who we invest in to achieve their TAQA assessing qualification)
– Inspirational leaders who oversee and manage the day to day dining in the restaurant
– Superb communicators who are able to engage and communicate at all levels
– Service ambassadors who consistently deliver the high levels of service expected in fine dining
– Passionate about sharing their love of food, customer service and their skill & experience
– Skilled business managers who are able to manage budgets, stock and administration
– Experienced operators who can prioritise, manage and deliver on objectives within set time scales
– Talent spotters who can recruit, develop and assess prisoners to gain their NVQ qualifications
You will have the resilience, integrity and professionalism to handle an ever-changing day, irrespective of the challenging situations you may face.
Your natural patience, understanding and commitment to helping Prison Learners, who could be at the lowest point in their lives, will stand you in good stead and give you the gravitas required for this position.
Your role as Head Chef Trainer is to inspire and train prisoners who have 6 – 18 months left to serve of their sentence, and give practical skills to aid their rehabilitation, with the aim of reducing re offending rates.
Prisoners have the chance to gain City & Guilds NVQ qualifications in food preparation, food service and food hygiene, as well as gain experience whilst working in a fine dining restaurant which is open to the public.
The Clink Restaurant Offers
– Highly competitive salary
– 33 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)
– Company pension scheme
– Free meals on duty
– Development and support to achieve your TAQA (assessing qualification)
To Apply for this position, you must pass the following requirements:
– Ministry of Justice Enhanced Vetting (any offer of employment is subject to this)
– The right to work in the UK and provide original documentation as part of the recruitment process