Head Baker, Pump Street Bakery
Pump Street values a diverse workforce; women, people of colour, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply. If there is anything we can do to accommodate you to participate fully in the recruitment or interview process please let us know in your application.
Pump Street Ltd is seeking a Head Baker to work to lead our friendly and dedicated team in making the best possible bread and pastries for our bakery in Orford, Suffolk.
Pump Street opened as a bakery in 2010. It was founded by father and daughter team Chris and Joanna Brennan. We continue to be a bakery and café in the village of Orford, baking daily Wednesday through Sunday
We have also significantly expanded our chocolate business making the best quality single farm craft chocolate, all made from the bean to the bar by us at our premises at Bentwaters Parks, Woodbridge, Suffolk.
This role would be based in our Orford bakehouse and would involve working with our team of six bakers and pastry chefs to make bread and pastries for our busy Orford shop and our online shop.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working in partnership with the bakehouse team, responsibilities will include:
* Overseeing the production of a range of bread and pastries to an excellent standard, including hands-on preparation and baking of sourdough bread, yeasted bread, viennoiserie and pastries on a daily basis
* Leading the team, maintaining a positive and supportive working environment and fostering their professional development, knowledge and skills
* Ordering stock and overseeing the maintenance of equipment
* Managing the rota and annual leave cover
* Line management responsibilities for a team of 6-8 bakers
* Liaison with other departments within the business
* Working with our Chocolate team to produce the bakery products required for chocolate production
We are looking for someone who is excited to progress in their career as a Head Baker, is a natural leader, and wants to represent a business that both acts with integrity and is willing to break the mould in order to provide the best quality. Other important skills/education:
* In depth knowledge and understanding of sourdough bread, ideally with some experience in pastry and viennoiserie as well.
* At least five years in experience in Baking, with some relevant management experience at a senior level, though this is an opportunity to step into a Head Baker role
* A keen desire to learn and grow on the job and work and lead in both the bread and pastry sections of the business
* Demonstrated experience of leadership, either in a Head Baker or Senior Baker role
* Strong organisation skills with the ability to prioritise and work in a fast-paced environment and willing to be adaptable when relevant
* Food Safety Training and experience in maintaining Food Safety Systems, ideally HACCP
* Exceptional communication skills, both in conversation and in writing, happy to speak in front of a crowd
* Excellent attention to detail, organisation and timeliness
* A passion for quality, learning and development, and delicious bread and pastries!
This role is a full time, salaried role, the salary range is from £30-34k per annum depending on experience. Must be available for weekend and night shifts. Relocation assistance will be provided if required.
Please submit your cover letter and CV including two references