Harcourt Inns is a London-based group of dining-pubs with boutique hotel accommodation, located in vibrant neighbourhoods around London, where we strive to offer quality food and drink in a casual, attractive environment and deliver great hospitality with a spirit of generosity. We’re not a chain – each of our properties is unique and is a reflection of the local area it serves.
In each of them, we’re proud to serve a range of beers from independent family-run breweries, together with thoughtfully curated wine & spirits lists, and an all-day menu overseen by our chef-director, Henry Harris (formerly chef-patron of Racine in Knightsbridge). Tucked away in each of our locations are elegant spaces for private dining and events, and luxurious hotel room accommodation.
Harcourt Inns currently own the renowned Harcourt in Marylebone, The Three Cranes in the City, the award-winning Coach in Clerkenwell and the Hero of Maida in Maida Vale. We will be opening two new sites in early-2019 - The Crown in Chiswick, followed by The KPH in Notting Hill.
We are currently recruiting for an exceptional General Manager to join our team and lead the opening of the newly-refurbished KPH in Notting Hill, which will open in March 2019.
To be successful in the role you will need to have:
• a minimum of 1 year experience in a similar role and at least 2years experience in a senior managerial role running a busy, food-led operation
• a service- and guest-focused approach, coupled with a genuine enjoyment of delivering hospitality
• proven ability to lead and motivate a team of up to 40 people
• experience in financial management, including forecasting, P&L reporting and cost controls
• expertise in licensing and all aspects of workplace Food Hygiene and Health & Safety [minimum of Level-2 training and certification] and be a personal licence holder
• a track record of successfully building and maintaining a well-trained service team
• the ability and desire to blend your restaurant service background with the demands of a vibrant neighbourhood pub
• an approach to the role which prioritises reliability, accountability and a sense of initiative
and you will be able to:
• oversee the commercial running of the food & beverage operation, with full P&L and reporting accountability
• apply your knowledge and expderience to help analyse, improve and grow the business
• confidently lead your team in service and also manage the administrative and commercial requirements of the business, dealing effectively with any challenges which may arise
• work to agreed standards and deadlines, and support and guide your team to do the same through consistent training and development
The Ideal Candidate
As a General Manager, you will have worked in quality-focused, food-led businesses where you have led your team to ensure the efficient running of the business while prioritising your guests. You’ll have an understanding of the difference between delivering service and delivering hospitality and know how to lead your team to achieve this.
Sound knowledge of wines and spirits (a WSET qualification is desirable) and a good working knowledge of both craft and draft independent beers will be of benefit. A genuine interest in and willingness to continue learning about both is essential.
You will also have experience of working closely with a Head Chef and the kitchen team to ensure that they are properly supported as was experience and in-depth knowledge of managing beverage stocks in order to support and supervise the bar team. Your daily focus will be to train and supervise the entire team to ensure that all the food and drink we serve is delivered to a consistently high standard while maintaining safe, compliant working practices and efficient operation of the business.
Experience managing private dining and events is desirable and some experience of working in a business where there were guest bedrooms, including use of Opera or similar PMS software, may also be an advantage as the KPH will open 7 boutique B&B rooms later in 2019.
Above all, we are looking for someone who shares our enthusiasm and love for classical French & modern British food, and independently-produced wines & spirits, and who will be the ‘host’ and face of the business. We want someone with a genuine love for hospitality, and who will lead their team to deliver it with warmth and a spirit of generosity.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a young, dynamic team operating quality-focused, award-winning London dining pubs and to develop with the company as it grows.