The Barbary is the second restaurant from siblings Zoë & Layo Paskin: a 24-seat, intimate and electric restaurant serving the food of the North African coast. Holding a Michelin Bib Gourmand each year since opening in 2016, The Barbary has gone on to be Time Out London’s number 1 restaurant for the last 2 years.
Jacob the Angel is our speciality coffeehouse next door and in the heart of Neal’s Yard. Open daily, we serve Square Mile Coffee and Rare Tea Co. alongside freshly made pastries, sweets and bakes from The Barbary kitchen.
As a group, including sister-sites The Blue Posts and The Palomar, what underpins our diverse offering is an open-minded, warm and enthusiastic belief in the power of heartfelt hospitality. Whether it be our staff, customers or the community, we have achieved great success through a dedicated and compassionate approach to all of those we interact with.
- From the directors down, we all lead from the front and by example. The Barbary is a high-volume site capable of serving 180+ customers daily and you must thrive in taking charge of the daily operation, regularly taking team briefings and acting as a role model for your team
- Report directly to the Operations Director to: ensure statutory compliance across all areas of the business; maintain and improve profitability in line with given targets; anticipate and proactively resolve upcoming site and broader issues; and deal with maintenance in a cost-effective way
- You will be accountable for the recruitment and development of 35 strong team across the two sites. Supervise onboarding, appraisal and disciplinary procedure with the support of the HR Manager whilst overseeing labour budgets and allocating staff hours.
- Quality control is paramount and you will work closely with central management to maintain, optimise and improve upon our high-quality operation with a hand in change for the offering in conjunction with the Head Chef and Creative Director.
- Financial support for development courses and qualifications to improve both your business and leadership skills including Watershed management training, WSET and others
- All Staff get discounts for other Soho/Central London restaurants in the group (including 50% off food at The Barbary, Jacob the Angel and sister restaurant The Palomar and 20% off drinks at The Blue Posts
- Access to Hospitality Action’s Employee Assistance Programme
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Is constantly exploring and pursuing ways to improve quality, standards and performance in both the short and long-term
- Is passionate about contemporary trends in eating-out and is an aficionado of the London dining scene
- Has experience working and managing in award-winning and critically acclaimed restaurants and understands the pressure (and subsequent reward) that comes from leading teams in these environments
- Multi-site experience would be beneficial for looking across both sites
- Experience with the following systems beneficial: OpenTable, Tevalis, Fourth Hospitality, Pro-Nett, Trail, Food Alert