Petersham Nurseries in Covent Garden are looking for a creative and experienced Sous Chef to join our team in The Petersham restaurant. We are passionate about food, sustainability and all that comes with it.
This role will suit a candidate with a strong background, preferably from a Michelin Star, 3 Rosette or 5 Star hotel background. You will be working closely with our Executive culinary team to create an inspiring and an innovative offering.
The Petersham: Respecting the Slow Food philosophy of Good, Clean and Fair and the traditions on which Petersham Nurseries Richmond was founded, The Petersham focuses on the finest seasonal produce, quality ingredients and Italian flavours, serving lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and Sunday lunch with a pre-theatre menu.
Our Sous Chef must be inspirational leaders, motivating and developing the team by example, to build upon our culture of passion and enthusiasm for the preparation and service of food. Sous Chef will cultivate an excellent working partnership with the kitchen team and the restaurant management team.
They must assist in providing food that not only exceeds our guest expectations in flavour, substance and presentation, but is also in line with agreed company & legal standards. This is in addition to ensuring that the food costs of the business are well managed.
Necessary Experience and Skills:
- The following range of characteristics and competencies are required. Please ensure these are reflected in your application. Short listing for interview will be based on meeting these requirements.
- NVQ 1,2 & 3 or City & Guilds 706/1&2
- Previous Experience in a similar environment
- Good health & safety awareness
- Staff training / development experience
- Strong leaderships skills
- Effective communicator
- Flair & imagination
- 2 Rosette or higher experience in a senior kitchen position
- Display a professional culinary character and approach in all forms of communication and interaction with all staff and other departments.
- Assist the Head Chef with the hiring needs of the kitchen and BOH staff.
- Maintain the highest standards of food freshness and quality by daily checking, before service, all foods necessary for the meal period.
- Take corrective action to a quality issue when brought to your attention by management, staff or guest comments.
- Oversee all the production of menu items according to standards.
- Schedule the hourly staff in relation to forecasted sales. Maintain labour controls and respond to any change in sales.
What we offer:
- Competitive pay and 28 days holidays
- Suppliers trips and professional development
- Opportunity to grow and progress with the brand
- Pension scheme
- Private health care
- Refer a friend scheme
- Regular socials
This is a very special opportunity to join a friendly company, if you think this position is for you please apply, we look forward to hearing from you!
All candidates must be entitled to live and work in the UK. Due to the high volume of applications we might not be able to respond to all, except those ones who we think are more suitable for the position