Published 15 June 2022
Pino restaurant in High Street Kensington closed permanently on Monday due to ‘rising costs’.
The owner James Chiavarini, who also runs the much-loved Il Portico, one of the oldest family run Italians in London, said the hospitality industry is being ‘squeezed’.
He told CODE: ‘We’re the same as any other independent restaurant I guess – we were being squeezed between rising costs and not enough sales.
‘I’m not taking it personally, and I think it’s going to be a bloodbath out there this year’.
Pino, which opened last year, was a more casual sister site to Il Portico, serving arancini, pizzas, pastas and steaks. The vitello tonnato was excellent, reviews favourable.
While disappointed, James said he has ambitious plans for the summer and Il Portico remains solid.
‘I’m sure I’ll be up to new tricks in no time,’ said the restaurateur. ‘We’re building a big summer terrace for Portico. I hope to launch it this weekend’.